Saturday, May 28, 2011

Being Me

I used to watch the Dr. Phil show a lot when I was a stay at home mom.  Although this was some time ago, I still remember something he used to always say to the guests on his show.  He said, "You tell people how to treat you".  Those words have stayed with me and tend to surface in my mind whenever I feel I've been treated unfairly, rude, judgemental, or just downright mean.  Yet, after all this time of hearing those words over and over in my mind, I still can't figure out what exactly he means, or better yet, what exactly to do about it.  You see, the problem is that I believe in being myself, and being the person God commands me to be.  It is a struggle in a world filled with people wo do not care about what God commands us to be.  I struggle at times to maintain the values that I hold to be true and struggle with saying or doing things that are not of my character because I want to fit in with "the world".  I want to be accepted, to be loved; I want to be sweet and kind and FUN, and yet...I want to be ME. 

The Me I want to be is patient, is kind.
The Me I want to be does not envy, does not boast, is not proud.
The Me I want to be does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered,
The Me I want to be keeps no record of wrongs.
The Me I want to be does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
The Me I want to be always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Lord, please help me to always be the ME I so desperately want to be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment